Monday, April 7, 2008

What's a Classic?

Janet Reuter writes:

     Literary work that I personally find interesting and extraordinary doesn't necessarily mean it is "extra-ordinary":  not tales about big issues or events.  My favorite book for about four years was titled Love at the Laundromat, and you can probably guess that it was not given any literary awards, probably never featured on any bestseller list, and actually, it would be pretty difficult to find in a bookstore or library.  The book traveled with me to France, Jamaica, and every beach on the east coast of the United States.  And no lies--I read this book again over Christmas break.  I can't name the author and I'll spare you the details, yet this might be doing you a disservice, as the romance between Joanne, your local fluff-and-fold girl, and Scott, the handsome college student who does his landlady's laundry, is quite a classic.  What I consider good literature and good writing doesn't have to be "profound;" there is no need to seem overly intelligent or try too hard.  As long as there is someone out there who appreciates it and who will it keep it on her nightstand, it's worthy.

No comments: